To complete this Program of Study and receive the Public Services Endorsement students must successfully complete the following courses for a total of 8 CTE Credits:
- Anatomy & Physiology PreAP-HT3H0AY1-13020600-1 Credit-Year-Long Course
- Medical Terminology-HT1H1AY1 or HT1H1DY1-13020300-1 Credit-Year-Long Course
- Principles of HST-HT1H0AS1 or HT1H0DS1-13020200-1 Credit-Semester-Long Course
- Theory of HST-HT2H1AS1 or HT2H1DS1-13020400-1 Credit-Semester-Long Course
Practicum of HST 1 - HT5H00Y2 - 2 Credit - Year-Long Course
- The Practicum in Health Science course is designed to give students practical application of previously studied knowledge and skills. Practicum experiences can occur in a variety of locations appropriate to the nature and level of experience.
Students must be at least 16 years old, and up-to-date immunizations. Students, at their own expense, will be required to have a background check and a drug screening prior to clinical rotations. Students are required to show a Social Security card and a valid Texas ID in order to participate in CCTE designated clinical rotations.
Students are also required to purchase and wear industry standard uniforms.
This course prepares students to become eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant exam. The cost of this exam is TBD.
Martinez, Josefina - Instructor [Website]
Medical Administration HT4D10Y2 - 13012200 - 2 Credit-Year-Long Course. Practicum of HST 1 - HT5H00Y2 - 2 Credit - Year-Long Course
- This program focuses on Medical Billing and Coding. The program is designed to equip students with the knowledge, technical skills and work habits required for an entry-level position in the medical insurance billing and coding field. The MBC program places a strong emphasis on ethics, accountability, professionalism, and personal development.
- This practicum is designed to give students supervised practical application of knowledge and skills studied in the classroom. Practicum experiences occur in a hospital medical administrative setting at Sierra Medical Center or Providence Memorial Hospital. Within this practicum, students work with medical records, learn the PBX hospital phone answering system, work in the Admitting Office, or in the Health Occupations office. Students may also get experience in the pre-op department, the new-born or post-partum nursery, the hospital gift shop, or in the medical supplies and securities departments.
- Students implement personal and interpersonal skills to strengthen individual performance in the workplace and make a successful transition to the workforce or postsecondary education.
- Medical Administration: MBC prepares and qualifies students to sit for the national certification exam as an Insurance Coding Specialist through NCCT Inc. The cost of the exam is $90.00.