External Research Requests
The district external research application for spring 2019 is currently being updated. Questions may be directed to Victoria Orozco at 915-230-2717 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The EPISD Research Review Board will resume accepting applications on January 28, 2019. The deadline for submission will be February 15, 2019. Please review the EPISD Research Guidelines prior to your submission.
NOTE: In order to address the issue of survey fatigue in EPISD, research proposals with surveys will be denied.
EPISD Research Guidelines
- Research projects for thesis and dissertation submissions are considered, research projects as part of a course requirement for completion are not considered.
- Any EPISD employee acting as the primary research applicant will not be approved to conduct any research study/project at their assigned location of employment.
- The research applicant will not be approved to conduct any study that involves the audio or video recording of students. [See Policy Code FL (LEGAL)]
- Researchers and Study Site Sponsors will be required to follow the governing procedures and guidelines in relation to visiting school facilities. [See Policy Code: GKC]
- All research must be conducted in compliance with state and federal laws, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA).
- Active parental consent for student participation must be obtained before any individually identifiable student information is released or data is collected.
- Active consent/assent from all subjects must be obtained before any research activity is started.
- Individual students, staff, or schools may not be identified in any report.
- Research projects must not pose any risks to subjects (risks of harm anticipated are no greater than those ordinarily encountered in daily life.)
- Research cannot be conducted in any school without the approval of the school's principal.
- Research cannot be conducted in the schools without an official approval letter signed by the Deputy Superintendent of Academics and School Leadership.
- Participation by staff or students in any external research project is voluntary.
- No data collection will be allowed on testing days. Please consult the district's testing calendar.
- Researchers are responsible for reporting their findings to the district.
- The permission granted to conduct research does not guarantee a schools’ willingness to participate. In all instances, the campus Principal can postpone or cancel the participation of their campus in the study.