We are now accepting campus nominations for the 2021-22 Teachers of the Year. Each campus will select ONLY ONE winner. Campus winners must be full-time certified employees. Classroom teachers traditionally are nominated. Librarians and counselors who teach at least four hours a day are also eligible. Administrators are not eligible, according to state and national guidelines.
All campuses must follow the campus selection process outlined:
- Use a democratic process to select your nominee.
- Principals on each campus should ask all staff for nominations. The nomination forms should include supporting statements.
- Previous campus winners should not compete for two years before being selected to represent the campus again.
- All faculty and staff should be allowed to vote.
- Secondary schools should allow all faculty, staff and students to vote.
- One campus representative should be chosen from among the nominees by a vote of all teachers and staff on the campus.
- Once campus representatives are chosen, they will be entered in the district wide competition.
Included on the webpage is a data sheet for your campus Teacher of the Year to fill out on the online application by TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8. Your nominee will be required to also complete an essay and email it to email@example.com by TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8.
The following is an outline of the selection process which mirrors that of the Texas Teacher of the Year Program:
- You will share the webpage with your nominee in order to complete the datasheet and essay online.
- Your nominee will be required to compose an 800-word essay, double spaced and at least a 10 pt. font. The datasheet should be completed via www.episd.org/toy and the essay should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8.
- The essay must incorporate the following:
- Describe your personal feelings and beliefs about teaching, including your own ideas of what makes you an outstanding teacher. Describe the rewards you find in teaching.
- How are your beliefs about teaching demonstrated in your personal teaching style?
- How do you incorporate innovation and student engagement in day-to-day instruction?
- The panel of judges will review all of the submissions and make their selection of finalists.
- Only finalists will be required to go through an interview. The finalists will be notified of the date and time for their interview.
- The interview process will take place March 9 and 10.
- The winners, along with all the other campus nominees, will be honored virtually the week of April 18, 2022.
If you have any questions, call Sonia Villa 230-2570. Thank you and good luck!