Two-Way Dual Language
What is Dual Language Education?
- Dual language programs use two languages for literacy and content instruction for all students. The EPISD program uses English and a partner language, often Spanish.
- The program provides the same academic content and addresses the same standards as other educational programs. They provide instruction in the two languages over an extended period of time. Instruction is in the partner language at least 50% of the time.
- A Dual Language teacher is trained on how to teach both the English and Spanish language using special materials, teaching strategies, and is sensitive to the individual needs of a student who is learning English.
Goals of Dual Language –
All children work side by side Developing :
- Bilingualism and biliteracy through high levels of proficiency in English & Spanish
- High Academic Achievement in English & Spanish
- Positive Socio-Cultural Attitudes and
- Belief that bilingualism/multilingualism is a Global and Economic Asset
Advantages of Being Bilingual
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth and enriches and enhances a child’s mental development.
- Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves a child’s understanding in his/her native language.
- Gives a child the ability to communicate with people she/he would otherwise not have a chance to know
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps the child understand and appreciate people from other countries
- Gives students a competitive advantage in the labor force
- Higher average salaries
- Greater career opportunities
“The 50/50 Simultaneous Biliteracy Dual Language Education Model shall be the designated program model for English Learners (ELs) in the District. In addition, native English speakers shall also have the opportunity to participate in the dual language education in the District.”
-El Paso ISD EHBE (Local) Special Programs Bilingual Education/ESL